"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

~Neale Donald Walsch~

Friday 25 January 2013

It's all in the mindset

Going back into work this for a few days this week for enrollments meant I had to kick start the old brain into work mode. How nice it has been to be laid back and going at a slightly slower pace. Whenever we are starting something new there is a clear shift in our thinking from what was before to what is now. As I met new students and began to hear their stories I was reminded again that this change for them was important and could be potentially life changing. For many students at TAFE it is a second chance to succeed at an education and for some it is change that could change course of their families' futures and this is why they are there. 
Photo by University of Denver licensed under Creative Commons Attributions License 2.0 Generic 




Change is hard. Some personality types adapt to it better than others. I know as a total control freak sometimes I really struggle with change. I enjoy the challenge that comes with change but sometimes leaving behind the old and familiar to something you can't control or know the outcome can be really scary. I know for many students who are starting kindergarten, year 7 or yr 11 the changes they face as they meet this new milestone in their lives can feel overwhelming. New school, new year, new tasks, new subjects, new friends, new teachers and new routines. A lot to take in when your only little or a bit bigger. I guess my role as a teacher is to help my students adapt to change and support them when they feel overwhelmed. I find just being there as a sounding board for my students seems to help. I enjoy being part of their journey and find that a shared journey is much more rewarding than one that you go on alone. There is always light at the end of the tunnel or a way to get help when you need it. Sometimes the answer can come from the simplest of places. 

For me this year is a big unknown. I am hoping to get my business underway and have a meeting this week with the coordinator of public schools for the Central Coast on Tuesday. I am hoping to really work out how I am going to market my courses to schools, principals, head teachers and teachers. I am very excited that all DET schools will have access to Google this year and I am hoping to train teachers to use these products for the benefit of their students. 






Time for the mindset to change. Last year is behind me and I 
look forward to what will come this year. Whilst we still have enrollments this week and won't be starting teaching until the 4th I have time to think and prepare. 

Having been without my laptop for a week and I haven't had the time to surf for great sites. Will get back into the swing this week. 

All the best to my teaching pals for the week ahead. 

Until next week,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment